Special Travel Requirements
First Air offers services for passengers with special needs including those in wheelchairs, those requiring extra space, those traveling with children or pets and those with special dietary requirements.
Children under 12 years old may travel on a flight if they are accompanied by a passenger at least 12 years of age. One child under 2 years old may travel for free with each fare-paying passenger over the age of 12, provided they occupy the same seat or an adjacent seat.
Children under the age of 12 can travel at a special child fare of 10% off the applicable rate.
Children Traveling Alone (Unaccompanied Minor)
Children under 5 years old traveling alone are not accepted under any condition.
Children ages 5 to 11 inclusive, traveling alone are considered Unaccompanied Minor (UM) and are only accepted with the following conditions:
- a parent or responsible adult accompanies the UM to the departure point and remains until the child is on the plane.
- the adult must satisfy the airline that the UM will be met on arrival by another parent or responsible adult.
- Service charge of $40.00+ applicable taxes (up to a maximum of $45.99 inclusive) one way will be collected at the departure gate
- UM will be charged an adult fare.
- All UM travel must remain on First Air flights only.
- if two children are traveling from the same family as UM’s only one service charge will apply
- Children over 12 years of age will be accepted without a service charge.
- For more specific details, please contact First Air directly.
Infants are under 2 years of age and can travel free when not occupying their own seat (one infant per adult passenger).
- Infants will be issued a ticket at no value as all passengers require a ticket to travel.
- Strollers can be brought to the gate and gate checked for easy transportation.
- Car seats are checked in at no additional charge to the passenger.
- A seat may be purchased for an infant at the child fare, and the accompanying adult will be allowed to take a car seat on board provided the following the car seat is approved by Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 213 or 213.1.
First Air provides itinerary information via Email using the Virtually There® program. Adding an email address to the Passenger Reservation generates the itinerary. Reservations can be made via the First Air website, Phone/TTY Reservations Centre, any First Air airport location or your local travel agency. First Air can also provide flight and itinerary information via SMS or voice sent to your computer pager or mobile phone.
An attendant who accompanies and cares for a passenger with a disability during flight, will not be charged any fare when accompanying a fare paying passenger, but will be charged applicable taxes, fees and charges. A medical certificate for the assisted passenger will be required.
Stretchers can be accommodated on all aircraft types. Prior arrangements must be made through First Air reservations with 24 hours notice.
First Air will provide assistance on departure and on arrival to transport baggage between the airport terminal and curbside areas.
Boarding and Deplaning Assistance
First Air will provide our passengers with assistance through the terminal facility with baggage/customs and immigration and to their departure/connection flight or to curbside ground transportation.
First Air will carry the following aids without charge:
- Walkers, canes, crutches and braces
- Communication devices
- Prosthesis or medical device
Some mobility aids such as battery powered wheelchairs and scooters may be restricted on some aircraft types, please be sure to mention your requirements upon making your reservation.
At First Air, safety is our first priority. Our professionally trained inflight crew will give personal safety briefings to those persons with special needs prior to takeoff. Additional service briefings may also be given enroute.
Upon request, First Air has oxygen service available on all flights. The service charge for oxygen is $100.00 plus applicable taxes (up to a maximum of $114.98 inclusive). Twenty-four (24) hours notice is required.
First Air does not accept personal oxygen bottles in the cabin. Some personal oxygen may be shipped as cargo with advance arrangements.
Our oxygen bottles have a flow rate of 2 LPM or 4LPM at a rate of 2LPM the O2 bottle will last approximately 6.5 hours at a rate of 4LPM the O2 bottle will last approximately 3.5 hours.
Pre-reserved seating is available at no additional charge and can be arranged during the booking process or through reservations. Special seating can be arranged – First Air has removable armrest for the ease of transfer to the passenger seat. The removable armrest seats are located near the washrooms.
Professionally trained service animals, which are assisting customers with disabilities, are carried on all aircraft types in the cabin at no charge.
Service animals are permitted to remain on the floor at the passenger’s feet as long as they are properly harnessed. First Air will require written proof that a professional service animal institution has trained their service animal.
Pre-boarding is available to passengers traveling with small children and those who require assistance or extra time to board the aircraft.
In addition to the regular and gourmet in-flight meals and with a minimum of 24 hours notice, First Air is also pleased to offer special meals including Kosher, diabetic, low-sodium etc. Please let your travel agent, or reservation agent know at the time of booking. Please note this service may be limited on some routes.